Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jambalaya
















I've tried several jambalaya recipes and this is our favorite. I really don't measure (this is why I don't bake!) so each time ends up a little different but overall, it's a great guideline. This calls for chicken and kielbasa but I've done shrimp, sausage, chicken or any combination of the three. Jason's favorite is all three - heavy on the sausage. Sausage makes me gack but I can tolerate a little bit of it if it's well mixed. You can easily adjust the heat - tonight I threw in some extra "cajun dust" (thanks Sheryl!) and hot pepper sauce.

I found this recipe on All Recipes originally.

Jambalaya
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
8 ounces kielbasa, diced
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used "cajun dust" my NOLA friend sent me instead)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Saute chicken and kielbasa until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Season with cayenne, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, or until onion is tender and translucent.

Add rice, then stir in chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.

Stir in Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.

*I just added my shrimp the last 4 or 5 minutes of simmering

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved