Saturday, August 14, 2010

(Starbucks knock-off) Mocha Frappuccino

Each month, Food Network Magazine (which I love) makes a copy cat recipe from a popular restaurant. I've made several of them and they are always spot on. This month was the mocha frappucino from Starbucks. I rarely order the frapp at Starbucks because it's pricey. I'm just as happy with an iced coffee (half the price and larger size). But they are delicious... and the mocha is my favorite. This recipe is really good. I thought it tasted like it, and I didn't even do all the steps. I realized (after making the coffee mixture) that I don't own a single ice cube tray so I had to punt. Also, it's a pain in the rear. If I make it again (which you know I will...) I will make a huge batch to have on hand for awhile. Or invite over a lot of friends.

Mocha Frappuccino
Makes: 4 drinks

For the coffee ice
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm strong coffee

For the chocolate syrup
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce milk chocolate, finely chopped (I used dark - life's too short for milk chocolate)
1.5 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the frappes
1 cup reduced fat milk
Whipped cream, for topping

Make the coffee ice. Stir the sugar into the coffee until dissolved, then let cool. Pour into a 16 cube ice cube tray and freeze until solid, about 3 hours.

Make the chocolate syrup: Combine the sugar and cocoa powder in a saucepan and slowly whisk in 3/4 cup hot water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking, until the sugar dissolves, 3-5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool.

Make the frappes: Puree 8 coffee ice cubes, 1/2 cup milk, 1/3-1/2 cup chocolate syrup, and 1 cup plain ice in a blender until smooth. Pour into 2 glasses, then repeat to make 2 more drinks. Top with whipped cream and more chocolate syrup.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved