Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats

We all know that rice crispy treats are super easy and quick to make. The prepackaged ones just aren't as gooey and fresh as the homemade kind but I seem to rarely make them. Anything colorful, or with sprinkles, immediately catches my eye (I *love* a sprinkled donut!) so these went on the "must try" list last week when I saw them posted on The Cooking Nurse.

Since she mentioned there wasn't much of a cake batter taste, I doubled her amount (included below) but might even add more the next time. Just eyeball it and make sure the marshmellow is still gooey enough to coat the rice crispy cereal when you pour it in.

You can use any kind of sprinkles you want - even changing it with the seasons. I happened to have these in my pantry so I used them. They added a distinct crunch that we really liked! And they're fun! And colorful! My dad thought they tasted just like a "crunchy birthday cake" and they got rave reviews from a few others that tried them after I posted this entry. Try them and let me know what you think!

Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats
3 tablespoons butter
1 (10 oz) bag of mini marshmallows
1/2 cup yellow cake mix (or more)
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Sprinkles (just eyeball it)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they begin to melt. Add one spoonful of dry cake mix to marshmallows at a time, until all is incorporated. After the marshmallow mixture is completely melted, add Rice Krispies. Stir until cereal is completely coated with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle in sprinkles and mix well. Press into a greased 9×13 in pan, and top with more sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting.

3 comments :

  1. I guess I know what is going on my grocery list

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seriously look amazing...I'm now craving rice krispey treats!!!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved