Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Huli Huli Chicken (crockpot)

Wow, it has been way too long since I've blogged - not that anyone is waiting on a blog entry from me, but because it means I haven't cooked at home in that same length of time! When work gets busy for me, the first thing to go is cooking. As much as cooking can be a source of therapy at times, it can also be a source of stress - especially when grocery shopping is involved. I also seem to still be dealing with the remnants of the pneumonia I had awhile back and find myself simply exhausted by day end.

Thankfully, I finally got tired of takeout and hit the store on my way home from work yesterday. Even thought I had to endure the 5pm grocery shoppers, it felt so nice to have a plan for meals the rest of the week.

I found this recipe through a blog I follow, What's Cooking Chicago? Such a simple, easy, crockpot meal sounded perfect for a weeknight! This dish was tasty; now, I won't lie and say it was the best meal ever - that spot is usually held for my beloved ethnic foods - but it was inexpensive, easy, filling, and crowd pleasing.

Joelen added sliced bell peppers for color and texture; I went with just chicken. I'll include her instructions for including the peppers as well.

Huli Huli Chicken
2/3 cups crushed pineapple, undrained
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced or grated ginger
4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (I used less - about 2 pounds)
1 1/2 cup chopped mixed bell peppers (optional)

Simmer crushed pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in medium saucepan until thickened and measures 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.

Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer 1/2 cup sauce to slow cooker, reserve remaining. Season chicken with salt & pepper, add to slow cooker and coat evenly with remaining sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.

About 30 minutes before the chicken is done, heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and when hot, add bell peppers. Sauté peppers until slightly softened and then transfer to the crockpot. Stir to combine and allow to finish cooking with the chicken.

2 comments :



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved