Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pork Schnitzel with Sauce

I think the first time I had pork schnitzel (and spaetzle) was at this great German restaurant in Fredericksburg, TX. I, of course, loved it! To be honest, for an "ethnic" food I don't think it's unusual at all for an American palate. It's really just a thin cutlet of pork that is breaded and fried. Yum! This recipe also has a great dipping sauce to go with it - though we actually just poured it right over our pork. :)

The pork is tender and flavorful (esp with the delicious dill flavored sauce!) and it cooks super fast. It was a big hit in this house!

Pork Schnitzel with Sauce
4 boneless pork chops
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup sour cream

Place the pork chops between two sheets of wax paper and pound to around 1/8 inch thick. Trim any fat from the edges, and make a few small slits along the edge to prevent the pork from curling during cooking.

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk the egg and milk together in another shallow bowl until well blended, then mix the panko bread crumbs and paprika together in a third shallow bowl. Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture one at a time, then dip them into the egg mixture followed by the panko mixture.               

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange no more than two pork chops in the skillet at a time, cooking until the meat is golden brown no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Place the pork chops in a warm oven to keep warm.               

Pour the chicken stock into the skillet used to cook the pork. Reduce the heat to low, and scrape up any brown bits in the bottom of the pan. As the stock simmers, mix the dill and sour cream together in a bowl. Whisk about 1/4 cup of the hot stock into the sour cream mixture, then pour it back into the skillet. Heat until warm and thick, about 5 minutes. Serve with the pork chops.

Source: All Recipes

5 comments :

  1. I am making this tonight for the second time. It is DELICIOUS! I don't like pork chops so I never cook them. My husband is very happy I found this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a pork chop fan either but I LOVE pork schnitzel! Strange, right? I'm so glad y'all like it - I need to get a better photograph of this recipe because it definitely deserves it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I have two tall loin chops currently thawing for this recipe and I'm very excited about it!! I usually don't comment until after the fact of using a recipe, however I'm not worried at all with this one considering my beloved cast iron skillet, and the dill sauce (ooh boy), this is going to be awesome. Thanks Aimee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve made this many times. It’s something fun and a little different. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you make the sauce in the pan the pork was cooked in, do you empty the leftover oil first?

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved