Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Alice Springs Chicken {from Outback Steakhouse}


I've never had Alice Springs Chicken at Outback (who orders chicken at a steakhouse?) but I've heard many times how tasty it is. I mean, it's chicken smothered in honey mustard, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. How can that not be tasty?

I made a version of it several years ago - way before I was keeping track of recipes I tried - and promptly forgot about it completely. Recently, I downloaded one of those restaurant recipe cookbooks on my Kindle and it had this recipe in it so I added it to the menu to make again.

Due to my lack of preparation, I tweaked the original recipe some but honestly think my changes made this dish even easier to make. It only takes 30-45 minutes which isn't too bad for a weeknight!

Obviously, this dish is delicious... though not diet friendly :)

Alice Springs Chicken (from Outback Steakhouse)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups sliced mushrooms
8 slices bacon
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup honey mustard
Salt and pepper
Oil or butter, if needed

Preheat oven to 375.

In your cast iron skillet (large enough to hold the 4 pieces of chicken), cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside and drain most of the grease out of the pan.

In the remaining grease, cook the sliced mushrooms until browned and soft. Remove and set aside.

Salt and pepper one side of your chicken breasts and add them to the cast iron skillet, salt and pepper side down. While it browns, salt and pepper the other side. Add additional oil or butter if needed. Cook each side 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove the pan from heat and brush each piece of chicken with the honey mustard. Lay two pieces of cooked bacon on top then spoon the sauteed mushrooms onto the bacon, being sure to coat each evenly.

Smother the top with cheese - about 1/4 cup of Monterey Jack and 1/4 cup Cheddar per chicken breast.

Bake 7-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.

Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Source: Super Duper Totally Authorized Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved