Sunday, November 11, 2012

Quick and Easy Beef and Bean Chili

There is much debate over the inclusion of beans in chili. In Texas, including beans is usually frowned upon... and I'm okay with that! I love a chili that's rich in meat. But I also enjoy beans in my chili... I guess I'm all about equal opportunity. Thankfully, Jason will also eat it anyway it comes so I am free to go either direction with our chili.

One of the upsides of using beans is the cost savings. All-meat chili can get pricey pretty quick while subbing in beans as another source of protein = cheap! I even took this recipe further and used less meat than it calls for and I heard no complaints from the other side of the couch.

Chili is often cooked long and slow but you can get great flavor from a faster approach. This chili cooks for just 40 minutes and it's darn tasty!



Quick and Easy Beef and Bean Chili
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 pounds lean ground beef chuck
2 large onions, chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1/3 cup ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
coarse salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans, drained
sour cream, grated cheddar, pickled jalapeno chiles and sliced scallions for topping
 
In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Working in batches, brown the beef for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Pour off all but 2 tbsp. of fat from the pot. Add the onions and stir over medium-low heat until soft, 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 3 cups water, scraping the pan.

Return the meat to the pot. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, oregano, 1 tbsp. coarse salt, 1 1/2 tsp. pepper and the cayenne; cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring, for 40 minutes.

Skim the fat from the surface. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Serve with the toppings.

Source: Rachael Ray Magazine


Congrats to Jason of Griffin's Grub! He will soon be the owner of a new 12 inch cast iron skillet! Thanks to all who entered!

1 comment :

  1. Looks wonderful. I'm usually a "no beans in my chili" kinda guy, but my Yankee mother puts beans in hers, so I can eat it either way. Your recipe looks similar to mine as far as what goes in it, but I don't have any measurements for it. The only thing I add that you don't (that I can think of) is ancho chili poweder and chipotle chile powder.

    Thanks once again for the opportunity to win the skillet. It's going to get lots of use at our house.

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved