Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Homemade Pimento Cheese

People in North Carolina are serious about their pimento cheese.

Don't get me wrong; people in Texas eat pimento cheese, too. I remember buying pimento cheese sandwiches at the Czech Stop in West, Texas anytime we traveled up or down I-35. But it wasn't a staple at every family gathering, church potluck, or camp meal like it is here.

Yep, we had pimento cheese offered everyday at (children and youth) camp. And not just the kind sold in a tub at the grocery store, I mean the homemade kind. And I may or may not have eaten quite a bit of it that week...

I truly think I've eaten it 12,438 times since moving here in June. Not that I'm complaining.

I've never made it myself so I thought I'd give it a shot. No doubt there are lots of homemade secrets out there that I haven't tapped into yet but this was a great start. It was sharp and tangy, but also smooth and cheesy. You can't get much better than a huge scoop of this slathered on two pieces of soft white bread. Or, you could kick it North Carolina style and slather it on your hamburger in place of a slice of cheese, use it for grilled cheese, warm it up and dip crackers in it, or stir it into grits. Anyway you serve it, it's good eatin'.

 
Homemade Pimento Cheese
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded (you have to shred it yourself!)
4 oz. diced pimentos
2 Tbs Greek yogurt
2 Tbs mayonnaise (the real deal - not Miracle Whip)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
squeeze of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
 
Drain the pimientos and pat dry with a paper towel.

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and use a rubber spatula to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Before serving, refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.

Source: Tide and Thyme

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved