Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mexican Rice

Hey look! The Texas girl is posting a Tex-Mex recipe! Shocked? Yeah, me neither.

I've made various kinds of enchiladas, tacos, and refried beans but never rice. Which is odd, since I like mexican rice way more than refried beans.

Every well rounded Tex Mex meal comes with rice and beans. It's just the way it is. Some people (*cough*Jason*cough*) order double beans but they're the weird ones. Rice and beans - when mixed together on your fork - are a perfect pair.

And then you move to North Carolina where Mexican food can be found... but it's not Tex Mex. And the rice just doesn't taste exactly like home. Partially because it's actually different and partially because it's just not home. You know how things at home taste just right? There's some truth to that. So, I thought it was about time to make a true Tex Mex mexican rice at home.

This recipe definitely hit the spot. Tomatoey, flavorful with the all the right spices, and not too mushy nor too dry. It was just about perfect. For not being back home at my favorite mexican restaurant.

Making tacos? Enchiladas? Tamale pie? Beans? Make this rice to accompany it. You won't be sorry.

 
Mexican Rice
1 cup of rice
2 cups of chicken broth
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1/2 cup of cilantro
1 tablespoon of cumin
Salt to taste

Add rice, chicken broth and butter into a pot. Bring to a boil on high, stir once, and cover. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered for 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook onions in oil for 10 minutes or until just about to brown. Add garlic to pan and cook for one minute. Stir in tomato paste and cumin and cook for one minute.
Mix in cooked rice, lime juice, and cilantro, and season to taste.
 
Source: The Homesick Texan
 

23 comments :

  1. This looks great Aimee, I wish I had this yesterday when I made Mexican food. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this exact recipe before! Only I was in a huge hurry, and forgot to let the rice cook that extra 5-10 minutes, and served it after it cooked only 20 minutes... Yeah, no one do that. It's pretty crunchy. So you've now reminded me that I need to make it again, because I say the first batch didn't count! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, how disappointing! I hate when that happens :( Yes, definitely make it again!

      Delete
  4. Hello there! Popping over from Nikki's link party. Yum! This looks delicious, and I can just imagine the mexican cilantro and lime flavours mingling with some delicious turtle beans and rice. Lovely post =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog on Pinterest, can't wait to see more!
    -Candice from AllThingsWalker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish! Pinned for later...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee...I'm from San Antonio TX...the capitol of tex mex food. Not to mention I'm Mexican American (thought that might add some street cred) You're recipe sounds pretty good, but let me make one recommendation...most mexican rice recipes, like the one my grandmother and mother always made, have you brown or lightly toast the rice in butter or oil before adding the chicken broth. It makes a HUGE difference. One other critical tip...NEVER lift the lid. Simmer 20 min with the lid ON. Give it a try, I think you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just came across your comment. I'm from Texas too. I was going to make this exact same comment. It just isn't Mexican rice if you don't brown the rice first, and never lift the lid on rice until it is done. Kinda like making enchiladas with canned enchilada sauce instead of gravy...I just don't get it. But I guess everyone has never had 'real' Tex-Mex. What a shame.

      Delete
  8. Aimee and Patty, Thanks for the recipe & tips. I always have trouble with the texture of spanish rice...always too runny. I plan to used this recipe during a family reunion/mexican dinner night. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the recipe! I live in Arizona and have seen Mexican Rice made sooooo many times growing up but unfortunately I never paid attention to what went in it....should have taken notes.... but at least now I have the recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What if I don't have any cilantro? Is there any other seasoning to substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could leave it out - cilantro is a really unique flavor and I'm not sure there is another seasoning that would replace it, really. It won't make or break the dish :)

      Delete
  11. can you use brown rice... ... and if so, how would times/recipe differ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. is it ground cumin or whole?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank u fr the recipe its really yummy

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved