Thursday, April 4, 2013

Okra Pilau

We're pretty new to a part of the country that I think of as the true south. Sure, Texans claim to be southerners (*cough*when it's convenient*cough*) but I think Texans are Texans. And we're pretty darn proud of that fact. Humble? Not a common trait of any Texan boasting about their state. And for good reason! It really is an awesome place to call home.

And while I can't find my Texas favorites like sour cream chicken enchiladas, chicken fried steak, or chopped beef sandwiches here I can enjoy pulled pork, grits, pimento cheese, and tea so sweet your teeth hurt.

It's a {darn} good trade.

Okra is a true southern vegetable. And believe it or not, okra is tasty even when it's not fried! Okra Pilau is a common side dish in the south, particularly in South Carolina (we live just 20 miles from the stateline now!). Being new to the area, I still don't know all the terminology for it but I think pilau is an acceptable name. I also found through Googling that meat is often added to it, too, and made into more of a maincourse meal. Which sounds really delicious. I'm hoping maybe one of my southern friends could shed some light on what the commonly used name is and what variations are out there.

In any case, this okra pilau is delicious. It's bacon... rice... and okra. Sounds tasty, right? We thought so.

Psst - some people find okra slimy but I found that cooking it in the rice takes care of any lingering sliminess

Okra Pilau
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups okra, sliced 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
 
Cover the bottom of your pot with a single layer of the chopped bacon and turn the heat to medium. Fry until crispy then remove with a slotten spoon and set aside. Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
 
Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the okra and turn the heat to high. Add the cayenne, salt, and rice and stir-fry for 1 minute.
 
Stir in the chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook until the rice is done, about 20 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork and stir in the chopped bacon.

Source: Simply Recipes

1 comment :

  1. Okra pulao, your picture on recipenewz caught my attention, Never thought of making okra pulao and good to know it is popular southern dish. I will try some time with more Indian twist.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Usha.

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved