Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chow Mein (Panda Express Copycat)



I've really missed blogging the past week! Jason's parents came to visit and no sooner had they pulled out of our driveway, I came down with something that put me out of commission for a couple of days.

We did have a great visit, and I'm so glad I didn't get sick until after they left! I also was able to try out two new recipes on them (yep, I'm one of those hosts!) that I will share in the coming weeks.

Today's recipe was a big hit at our house! I love the Chow Mein at Panda Express there because it doesn't have an overwhelming flavor so it pairs nicely with any entree you choose. These cook up fast and would be perfect to go alongside any dish that you'd normally serve with rice (like the SweetFire Chicken I posted a few weeks ago).

Psst - don't hesitate on the amount of cabbage - it cooks way down!



Chow Mein {Panda Express Copycat}
1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably reduced sodium)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
~15 ounce package Yakisoba stir-fry noodles*
2/3 cup celery, chopped
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 heaping cups cabbage, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and black pepper. Set aside.

Remove noodles from package and discard the included flavoring packets. Rinse noodles well, drain, and set aside. 

Heat oil in a large wok. Add celery and onion and saute until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the cabbage and saute another few minutes until soft. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture and heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are heated through.

Serve immediately. 

*you should be able to find the noodles in the refrigerated section of the produce department

2 comments :

  1. My family would love this!! I am definitely going to try. Thanks for sharing, Aimee! Glad you're feeling better. Nothing's worse than being super sick when you have stuff to do (like blogging! ;). Oh, and I am TOTALLY one of those hosts too! I always try new recipes on guests, haha! Hope you're having a great weekend!!

    Best,
    Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious recipe! My family loved this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved