Monday, September 30, 2013

Honey Mustard Glazed Baby-Back Ribs



A few years ago, Jason and I traveled to Memphis as part of a road trip vacation. On the menu? Ribs, of course! Probably our favorite ribs there were at Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous. His ribs are "dry" ~ they have a great crust on them thanks to a flavorful dry rub but there is no sauce. They are SO good, and definitely don't need a sauce!

Most Texas BBQ joints will serve them up saucy. A dry rub is used while they smoke and then a thick sauce is brushed on as they are grilled. Messy, and not usually suitable for eating in mixed company, but finger lickin' good.

To be honest, I don't have a preference with dry versus wet. If it's a tender rib, loaded with flavor, I'm a fan. Period. But when making ribs at home without a smoker, I think the best option is to go with both-and. The dry rub + sauce is my favorite technique and ensures loads of flavor, even without the smoker.

I've tried making ribs at home many times and we keep coming back to this recipe (which I originally shared over 3 years ago!). The spice rub really gives the meat a ton of flavor and they are practically fall off the bone tender when they are finishing baking. But wait! Don't be tempted to just dig in after they finish in the oven - they really need that char that only a grill can give. Throw it on the grill and slather it in the homemade honey mustard sauce before serving.

It's so good, y'all. Truly the best homemade ribs we've had to date!


Honey Mustard Glazed Baby-Back Ribs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and ground pepper
4 pounds baby-back ribs (2-3 racks)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 honey

Heat oven to 275. 

Make the rub: in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Places the ribs on a large ribbed baking sheet. Rub the ribs with the spice mixture and tightly cover with foil. Bake until tender and the meat easily pulls away from the bone, 2 - 2.5 hours.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl combine the Dijon mustard, vinegar, and honey. Save 1/2 cup for serving.

Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the ribs, basting with the sauce and turning occasionally, until just beginning to char, 4-5 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.

Source: Real Simple

2 comments :

  1. Aimee- These look so amazing and mouth watering! I really enjoy visiting your site. Great recipes. Of course, I HAD to pin it! I am just buzzing over from the Tasteful Tuesdays link party! I am glad you posted this there. I would love it if you'd drop by to visit me sometime at http://www.kneadedcreations.com. I'll look forward to seeing you there! Deb @ Kneaded Creations

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved