Thursday, November 14, 2013

Crockpot Indian Butter Chicken



People seem to love their crockpots.

My crockpot recipes have far more hits than any other recipe I've posted. I don't have all that many on the blog, actually, because I don't think a crockpot is the end all be all of kitchen appliances. It's handy... but your options are pretty limited. And to be honest, pulling out a skillet and tossing together a 15 minute one pot dish is SO much easier!

That said, they do have their place in a busy household like ours! Jason has always worked typical business hours with no "work at home" expectations once he was out of office while I have always done the opposite. He recently changed positions and has joined me on the other side. We haven't' had dinner together yet this week, matter of fact! And those are weeks when crockpots can be handy. Either one of you can toss it in on your way out the door and it's ready for whomever arrives hungry first.

Butter chicken is my favorite Indian dish and while this won't compare to your favorite restaurant version, or even my favorite version, it's darn good. You get the flavors that you love from Indian food without much effort. And, your house will smell AMAZING when you walk in.

I'm always a basmati rice + naan bread girl when it comes to Indian food and this chicken worked great with that. Trader Joe's naan bread is pretty darn good or if you're really adventurous you could make your own (my girl Julie made her own if you want a recipe to use).

Butter chicken is the perfect introductory dish for anyone unfamiliar with Indian food. Not spicy, not weird, and - hello? - there is butter in it!

Thanks to the light coconut milk & Greek yogurt, this is a lighter version of the traditional cream-heavy butter chicken. No guilt! 


Crockpot Indian Butter Chicken
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
4 tablespoons butter
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt

Add the chicken, onion, garlic, curry, cayenne, garam masala, and ginger to the crockpot. Over top, add the butter, tomato paste, lemon juice, and coconut milk. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.

Using two forks, shred the chicken and mix well with the sauce. Stir in yogurt 15 minutes before serving. Add salt to taste and serve with hot basmati rice and naan bread. 

Source: adapted from Cupcakes & Kale Chips

9 comments :

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! This looks great. I love Indian food... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I just adore Indian flavors. I was introduced to Indian food for the first time in NYC back in college. Uncle George took us to "Curry in a Hurry' a few blocks from his apt. Been addicted every since (and HAVE to eat at Curry in a Hurry every time I visit NYC!)

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah! This looks delicious!! I love my crock pot! Pinning this now to try soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious, I like that you made it lighter. I'm going to try this in my new crockpot. Visiting from Marvelous Mondays linky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Let me know how it turns out for you :)

      Delete
  4. I love butter chicken!!! Please come and share this wonderful recipe at Simple Supper Tuesday. It's a linky party all about simple, easy recipes and crock pot meals. Thanks!!
    http://www.hunwhatsfordinner.com/2013/11/welcome-back-to-simple-supper-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aimee,
    quick question....do you have to add the yogurt?? My hubby has this weird yogurt phobia. I know he would love this recipe, but the yogurt would have to go. can't replace it with anything else cuz its a whole white sauce thing. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yogurt (and coconut milk) are used to make up for the traditional heavy cream in butter chicken. I think you could skip it but it won't have the same creamy flavor. Could you use more coconut milk in it's place?

      Delete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved