Thursday, August 25, 2016

One Pot Mac and Cheese



This super creamy mac & cheese is cooked in just one pot - noodles and all! Who doesn't love a big bowl of mac & cheese?

Typically when I cook dinner, I look for the most efficient way of making a dish - without sacrificing any flavor. Not only do I just prefer to have less pots on the stove, but I also know my husband appreciates it when he does the dishes later that night. I know I can't be the only one so I was stoked to find a true one-pot recipe for macaroni and cheese.

I'm a huge mac & cheese person; I will happily order it at my favorite noodle place as my lunch and never miss the meat and veggies. But making it at home can be a drag, especially if I'm doing a baked version. The roux, the cheese sauce, the noodles, it all just seems to take a lot of effort after a long workday.

This version cooks completely on the stove and in one pot. Now, it does require some attention; you will have to stir constantly and it will thicken quite a bit once it begins to cool so it's not the best recipe to take to a potluck. A baked mac & cheese is perfect for that occasion ;) But if you're looking for a quick side dish, this is the mac & cheese for you. We LOVED it.

It's incredibly creamy and cheesy - two things that are important for a good mac & cheese!


One Pot Mac & Cheese
1 pound small pasta
~3 cups water
2-3 cups low fat milk
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
Fresh ground pepper, to taste

Place the dry pasta in a colander and rinse under water. Let drain.

In a medium pot, combine the water and drained pasta. Place on medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Stir frequently!

Once simmering, add 2 cups of the milk and bring it back to a simmer then turn the heat to low immediately. Continuing stirring frequently to avoid the milk burning to the bottom of your pan. As you stir, add additional milk as needed to ensure the pasta does not dry out. Depending upon the pasta and milk you use, you may need to add quite a bit more milk to keep the pasta cooking. Cook about 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the milk mostly absorbed but not completely gone.

When the pasta is cooked, add the mustard powder, salt, and cheddar. Stir until evenly melted into the pasta. Add more milk, if needed, to loosen. Taste and adjust salt and add pepper.

Remove from heat and serve immediately. It will begin to thicken quickly once it starts to cool off.

Source: adapted from Plain Chicken and White on Rice Couple

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved